Sunday, 21 September 2003

Internet purchasing just isn't there yet is it? I walk into any shop on the high street and I can pick up any item and, subject to the limit on my credit card, I can buy it there and then and take it home. No intrusive questions, no need to validate that I'm a 'real' person (what does a 'fake' person even look like).

I order something off the Internet however and it's a whole different story... It's only $25 for crying out loud, but they want to know my address (why, are they going to ftp the software through my letterbox?), my home telephone number (yeah right - they can make do with the office number), and an email address - this is the only part I can even understand, I mean obviously they have to email me the confirmation and a link to the every so secret location to download the frigging software. Not a problem, fire up Sneakemail and create a new address just for them (I can always delete it if/when they sell it).

But no, this isn't good enough, they have the cheek to email me asking if I have "an additional email address", as apparently free ones are "conduits for fraud". I thought the whole point of the VISA system was that VISA carried the can for fraud and not the individual or the vendor...

If it takes too long, I feel a cancellation coming on...

No comments: