Saturday, 7 January 2006

Google Pack Launched

Google launches their new Google Pack, a software delivery vehicle providing all the usual Google software (Google Desktop, Google Earth, Picasa, Google Toolbar, Google Talk and the new Google Screensaver) as well as selected third party software: Firefox, Ad-Aware, Norton AntiVirus, Trillian, Acrobat Reader, RealPlayer and some GalleryPlayer Images. Nothing you couldn't get for yourself independently, but then I guess that's the point of the bundle - it encourages you to try more than you would have normally.

Strangely for me, the Google Updater actually provided a better way of managing my Google software. In came Ad-Aware (possibly to replace my existing Microsoft download) and out went Google Talk - there's only so many times you can load that up just to find you don't know anybody else on it...

Google Screensaver provides a quite nice way of viewing your images in a screensaver, but I think I still prefer the default one that comes with Windows. But the big problem with this is one that afflicts all of Google's downloadable products - if you aren't running Windows you can't play the game...

No comments: